Monday 7 October 2024

FHS Chapter 4: The Meaning of Decision (Part 1)

The day after the fight with Araki.

Takeru had come to Kazami High School, where Kusanagi Takeru attends.


His parents say that since he has amnesia, there is no need for him to force himself to go to school.
However, even though Takeru wasn't injured, he felt bad about continuing to take time off and making Kusanagi Takeru repeat the year.

"Even after forty years, schools don't change much..."

I stand in front of the school gate and look up at Kazami High School.
After deciding to go to school, I did some research and found that Takeru's academic ability doesn't seem to be very high.
In fact, Kazami High School's deviation score was not very high.

Due to memory loss, he has no knowledge of school or his friends.

"Well, he was bullied so much that he almost committed suicide, so he probably doesn't have any friends..."

As I watch the students pass by in front of the school gate, I am reminded of my younger self.
I was beaten and laughed at for no reason, and it's a really bad memory.

But at the same time, I think.

--Edelweiss. I've gotten stronger, haven't I?

He remembers the days he met in another world and the girl who continued to be by his side when he was just a high school student.
She helped me practice magic together.
Experiencing scary adventurers.
Running away from or fighting powerful monsters.


His end may have been tragic, but the days he spent with her in the other world made the bullied Takeru stronger.
That is to say, the body and the mind.

"Well then, let's go..."

School after a long time.
My feet felt lighter than I expected as I stepped into a place that should only hold unpleasant memories.


Since I was returning to school, I received various explanations from the person in charge in the staff room.
Among these, it was decided that they had been playing on the roof, and this was the common understanding at the school.
I was told to take into consideration the fact that I have amnesia, but it seems their tendency to cover things up has not changed much from the past to the present, and it annoys me inside a little.


I entered the classroom with the teacher.
For a moment, I felt all eyes on me.
Reactions from classmates were mixed.

Those who had not heard about the reinstatement looked puzzled. Some looked away awkwardly.

--Well, I guess it's like that.

"So, Kusanagi has lost his memory as a result of his injury. It hasn't interfered with his daily life so he has returned to school, but there are still many difficulties. As his classmate, I ask you to help him out in various ways."

When the teacher told the classmates about their memory loss, they looked at each other with a mixture of surprise and guilt.
He probably knows that Kusanagi Takeru was bullied on a daily basis.

However, that's where my interest ends.
Once the person in charge had finished their explanation and returned to the staff room, everyone quickly returned to their usual state.
To them, Takeru's amnesia was just one of the few irregularities that occurred in their daily lives.

If you knew that bullying was happening and didn't stop it, then there was a reason why you couldn't stop it.
I guess that's how it is, I thought, as I headed to my seat, when I saw someone I knew at the back of the classroom.

"And then, I blew away the ogre that suddenly appeared!"
"Are you serious, Araki-kun?"
"Amazing!"

The men laugh loudly and vulgarly at each other.
I don't recognize the joker with his hair tied up in a headband or the two guys who look like they've been bragging about a fight.
However, there was no mistaking Araki, who was in the center, as I had just met him the day before.

"Well, when it comes to me it's like that...huh?"

Suddenly, Araki's eyes met Takeru's and he stopped laughing.
His face twitched for just a moment, probably because he was remembering what happened yesterday.

"Tch――!"

Araki turns his face away, and his classmates, who are just like him, give him puzzled looks.

"Araki-kun?"
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing!"

Even though he claims it's nothing, he can't completely hide his murderous intent towards me and I can see him glaring at me.
I'm pretending I don't know either, so please don't be a bother.
Takeru was shocked and sat down in his seat.

"Kusanagi-kun, are you okay with losing your memory?"
"Yeah?"

I thought I would just be treated like a hot potato, but then the boy sitting next to me called out to me, so I looked in his direction.

"Umm."
"Oh, I see. You've lost your memory so you probably don't even know me."

As Takeru looked troubled, a boy with glasses pulled out a magazine with a gentle smile.
It was a hunter information magazine that was also found at Takeru's house.

"I am Takuro Sawamura. You may not remember, but Kusanagi-kun and I often talked as we both liked Hunters. Nice to meet you again."
"...Ah, nice to meet you."

The reason why he was a little slow to react was because he had become a little doubtful of Sawamura's existence, and then--

--So you had friends...

Takeru found himself thinking something a little rude.



after school.

"Oh, it's done..."

Taking class for the first time in a long time was much more difficult than Takeru had expected.

There are no textbooks, notebooks, or blackboards; all lessons are taught remotely via tablets and holographic windows.
Although the exterior of the school had hardly changed, the class format was completely different from what Takeru was familiar with, and he was overwhelmed by the difference of forty years.

--It's not like I've always been good at studying, and I already knew it, but...

When I actually took the class, I was shocked to find that I could hardly understand much, even though I knew what was going to happen.

Of course, being in another world meant forgetting about my high school studies.
But more than that, everything was so new.

It's interesting to learn new things, but my brain can't keep up with the onslaught of information that comes flying at me, and my head ends up bursting, steaming as I slumped headfirst into the desk.

"Are you okay, Kusanagi-kun?"
"...The lessons on the future are progressing well."
"Ah, hahaha. So that's what it feels like when you lose your memory..."

During class, I received a lot of help from my classmate sitting next to me.
Besides, Sawamura seems to know a lot about Kusanagi Takeru.

"Even so, Kusanagi-kun doesn't seem to have a sense of tragedy, considering he's lost his memory..."
"Well, there's no point in worrying about it."

--Actually, it's not like I've lost my memory.

"Oh, by the way."
"Hmm, what?"
"What did you think Kusanagi Takeru was like?"
"--!? Tha, that's..."

When I looked up to ask about the owner of this body, Sawamura's eyes shifted as if he was reluctant to answer.
I understand the reason, so that's okay.

"Hey, hey. Since Kusanagi has finally returned, let's use him as a punching bag again."
"Oh, that's nice!"
"..."

As I was thinking that, I heard a nasty voice.

 

Prev | TOC | Next